Teaching & Learning
Testing and Assessment
BHM Schools Assessments
BHM District Testing Schedule
Statewide Testing Parent Refusal Information
Why does participation matter? A statewide assessment is just one measure of your student’s achievement, but your student’s participation is important to understand how effectively the education at your student’s school is aligned to the academic standards.
• In Minnesota's implementation of the federal Every Student Succeeds Act, a student not participating in the statewide assessments will be counted as "not proficient" for the purposes of school and district accountability, including opportunities for support and recognition.
• Students who receive a college-ready score on the high school MCA are not required to take a remedial, noncredit course at a Minnesota State college or university in the corresponding subject area, potentially saving time and money.
• Educators and policy makers use information from assessments to make decisions about resources and support provided.
• Parents and the general public use assessment information to compare schools and make decisions about where to purchase a home or to enroll their children.
• School performance results that are publicly released and used by families and communities, are negatively impacted if students do not participate in assessments.