Hanover, in the tradition of country schools, was a common school district with the typical wooden school house, but with two floors. The original school was built in 1892 and no longer exists. In 1958, land was purchased and a brick school consisting of three rooms was constructed. A few years later two more rooms were built so that grades K-8 could be accommodated. Around 1968, the Hanover District consolidated with the Buffalo School System. Hanover area students traditionally went to Buffalo for high school, so this common district consolidated with Buffalo. District 877 became the official district name.