Chemical Health Resources

For Parents
Parents DO play a role in influencing adolescent behaviors. Research has shown that adolescents who perceive that their parents disapprove of chemical use are less likely to use alcohol, tobacco, or other illicit substances.

What might alcohol and drug use look like?
Signs and Symptoms of Chemical Use - please read the pdf attachment below

How can I address alcohol and drug use with my teen?
Helpful Tips for Addressing Chemical Use With Your Teen - please read the pdf attachment below
Visit the following links for additional information:
Partnership for drug-free kids
Talk. They Hear You
Teen Drug Abuse: Help your teen avoid drugs
Tobacco Use is Still a Problem
MN Prevention Resource Center

For Teens
Drug and alcohol use can be troubling for all involved. Know that it is OKAY to talk about your own use, or someone else's,  and ask for help from the supportive people in your life.  If you are concerned about getting help privately, remember that in Minnesota it is the state law to keep services for teens confidential (for reproductive health, mental health, and chemical use). Ask a school counselor or other professional provider for more information about confidentiality.

Where can I get research-based information about alcohol and drug use, including help with cutting-back or quitting use?
Visit the following links for information:
NIDA for Teens: The science behind drug abuse
Above the Influence

MN Prevention Resource Center
Smoke Free TXT

Where can I go during the school day if I am worried about my own, or someone else's, use of drugs or alcohol?

  • Your school counselor
  • A trusted teacher or principal
  • The school resource officer

Chemical health counselor (based on availability, see your school counselor for more information) 

For Everyone
Where can I go for more support?

  • Mental health clinics or chemical dependency treatment centers offer drug and alcohol assessments and services.

Bridging Hope Counseling, Buffalo, 796.291.5505
Central MN Mental Health Center, Buffalo 763.682.4400
Central MN Mental Health Center, Monticello 763.295.4001
Family Counseling Center, Buffalo 763.682.5420
Maple Lake and Prairie House Recovery Center, Maple Lake 320.963.6865
Nystrom and Associates, Otsego 1.877.822.7504

  • Primary care providers can provide drug testing, health information, and screening.

Insurance companies can refer to treatment centers or mental health clinics in your area and provider network. Also try the SAMHSA Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator

  • Local community resources can offer additional resources and tips.

         Four County Crisis Line 1.800.635.8008

         SAVE Suicide Hotline 888.511.SAVE (7283)

         911 for life-threatening emergencies (including severe intoxication or overdose)

         Buffalo Police 763.682.5976

         Wright County Sherriff 763.682.1162

         Wright County Human Services 763.682.7400